Monday, September 1, 2014

Sweet and Sour Pinwheel Sampler

It's been a long time since I've posted here!  I am STILL hand sewing the binding to the last quilt I posted (twin bed quilt)!  I quilted it 3 years ago before we packed up and moved across the country.  We downsized, so I no longer have space to set up my frame.  Now, I focus on making quilt tops, and have found a LAQ to do the quilting.  I didn't think I'd like paying somebody to do something I am capable of doing, but it is actually a wonderful thing to have someone else look at my quilt and envision the best thread color and quilting design for each quilt.  After all, I was just doing an easy puzzle piece pattern since I don't own a long-arm machine.  That gets boring after a while!

I've also discovered my new favorite way of doing quilt binding.  I really don't like hand sewing and had tried to find a way of doing the binding completely by machine that looked good.  Finally found it and put the binding on a quilt in ONE day (front and back)!  Now, the 2 quilts I just got back from the LAQ are almost completely done as well.  Finishing 3 quilts in 1 year?!  Yes!  Here's a link to this wonderful binding method:  Susie's Magic Binding  I find that planning for the flange fabric color to match the backing is the easiest way to make the thread color blend right in.

Here's the quilt I made over 3 years ago, but didn't have time to quilt before we moved.  Now I am thrilled that I didn't have time because the LAQ's work is beautiful!  Made with the Sweet and Sour fabric line by Connecting Threads.


I just love all the different quilting details!


Here is a close-up shot of the binding:

This quilt has a "kindred spirit" quilt, made for my purple-loving friend, Missy.  She and I have found ourselves to be kindred spirits (or twins separated at birth)!


No comments:

Post a Comment