Monday, September 8, 2014

Weaver Fever Quilt

I finished two quilts yesterday!  This quilt, however, is the first quilt I've started and finished in the same year (not counting those baby quilts I made when I began quilting 9 years ago).  I was looking for a visually stunning quilt pattern and came across this one.  I used 4 shades in each color way, so this is officially a Weaver "Four-Ver" according to the instructions for the pattern.  It can also be made with 3 shades or 5 shades in each color way, depending upon the desired effect.



This pattern looks difficult, but it really just requires organization.  After all, it is entirely made from strips!  I labeled each fabric carefully and kept labels on the strip sets as I went. 




I then lined up all my strips on my portable ironing board.  That way I could easily tuck it away if I didn't get them all done in one day (I didn't).  I also used this photo to refer to as I went along so that I was sure to be sewing the next strip onto the correct side of the previous one.




Back of two strip sets.



Sewing the strip sets together.  There were no seams to line up during this part, but it was important that the strips were sewn such that they ended up the exact same length.  I did pin them to make this easier.







First block sewn together.  I used this block as a reference constantly as I continued to sew the remaining blocks.  Every block ends up being the same as the first!




I used my new binding with a flange method to bind the quilt, using fabrics of a similar shade as the backing so that the thread line would blend in.







Lining up the binding for sewing to the front.  My LAQ used a pattern called "Watercourse" for all-over quilting because the colors in my quilt looked like sun, sand, and the ocean!





The final product!  I really love this quilt!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you don't have to match seams! Can this be made in a crib size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, in the instructions, the sizes start at "crib/lap" and that is the size I made! However, all the blocks are the same, so you would just need fewer blocks to make it smaller. My quilt is 4 x 5 blocks and approximately 54" x 64" with the borders.

      Delete